I recently received some subscription information for O magazine in the mail.One of the inserts included a postcard written by Oprah Winfrey entitled What I Know for Sure.She describes being stumped by the question “what do you know for sure” and how she has never stopped asking herself the question since.Here is her all-time top 10 list:
- What you put out comes back all the time, no matter what.(This is my creed.)
- You define your own life.Don’t let other people write your script.
- Whatever someone did to you in the past has no power over the present.Only you give it power.
- When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.(A lesson from Maya Angelou.)
- Worrying is wasted time.Use the same energy for doing something about whatever worries you.
- What you believe has more power than what you dream, wish, or hope for.You become what you believe.
- If the only prayer you ever say is “thank you,” that will be enough.(From the German theologian and humanist Mesiter Eckhart.)
- The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you give.
- Failure is a signpost to turn you in another direction.
- If you make a choice that goes against what everyone else thinks, the world will not fall apart.
After reading Oprah’s list, I immediately wrote my own list of what I know for sure (right now). Here they are in no particular order:
- You are what you think and speak.Eventually you’ll speak what you think about yourself.Those thought and words have life and will become your life.
- Change is inevitable so face it with grace and optimism.Complaining about it is a waste of time and energy.Expect great things to come from every situation.
- What I do and don’t do impacts the world and everyone in it.My decisions effect history.
- I was wonderfully created and I’m full of purpose.(So are you!)
- I have the capacity to love and forgive unconditionally.I chose whether or not I’ll operate at maximum capacity.
- The mind, body, spirit connection matters.If one is off balance, it will eventually cause the others to be off balance as well.
- We are all different on purpose.We meant to need, perfect, and complement one another.
- Everyone wants and deserves to be loves.(Even if you never admit it.)
- No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. –Eleanor Roosevelt
- If I worry about what everyone else is doing or thinking, I’ll never have time to figure out and carry out my own purpose, vision, and plan.
Take a few minutes and write your own list.You’ll be surprised of what you know for sure.